Skip to main content

Where have I been?

So I was away for the holidays spending both Christmas and the New Year with the parents in North London. It was a nice break and a chance to unwind especially with the days we'd had leading into Christmas at work, they were manic to say the least after the website I look after attracted a little more attention than we'd have liked at that time of year. You can read more about it here.

Whilst the article isn't exactly 100% (are they ever?) it did mean there were a lot of changes to make at short notice in reaction to what happened and this had to be done whilst keeping the website up and running. All good fun, and with the overtime I did over the holidays the pay packet I got this month made it all worthwhile.

Having said that I did have the first problem with the flat at the same time and some of the money that I could have spent treating myself ended up being spent on that. My immersion heater went and needed to be repaired. The first company I went to gave a reasonable quote but never came around to do the work after the initial assessment; I think the guy was guaranteed more money elsewhere and took that option. I had no choice but to find someone else, who did the work, and found a couple more issues, and I ended up paying twice as much in the end. C'est la vie. Not being an electrician I can't challenge what has been said and I knew his rate before I agreed to let him do the work. There are a lot of people leaving big city jobs to become electricians and plumbers, I can see why!

So, I'm back home now and the flat is a tip, I really need to tidy it up but I'll do that when I know I'll have visitors haha!

I hope you all have a wonderful 2007
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Show: Cirque du Soleil Tracker

Just a way to track the shows I've seen and have yet to reach. These are the current active shows. I've seen some others that have been discontinued (Alegria, Dralion, Immortal, Quidam, Saltimbanco, Zed & Zarkana)


This one I've seen twice. It was "Believe" in 2013 and "Mindfreak" in 2016.




This one is a commission for a theme park in France and is the end of day water-themed show.  Theme Parks and Cirque? How have I missed this one? (I'm hoping to get it this summer)

This one has just started its run.



This one has been in Australia and Japan for the last few years but is now back in the US. I've no plans to see this one.
I saw this one in 2016
This was announced in Brooklyn whilst I was on holiday in Manhattan 2016 so I added it.


N

Film: Your Name

Your Name is a very successful Japanese film that has made its way over to the UK. It has become the first non-Ghibli animated film to break the 10-billion yen mark so it's a pretty big deal. It's had a fairly subdued launch in the UK, and I'd only realised it was being shown here after catching a poster on the underground.
The tale is of a city boy, Taki and a country girl, Mitsuha who become inexplicably linked through their dreams and they decide to find each other. Without giving too much away the story is a little different to the usual love story, and has a good mix of comedy peppered throughout, in particular from Mitsuha's younger sister Yotsuha.
The animation is stunning and rivals that of the Ghibli camp. The story is clever, and you can probably tell I'm not giving too much away; to do so would spoil things.
Highly recommended. 

Gig: Jon1st & DJ Cheeba @ Echoes

The Soundcrash promotion team, who do some of the best live event promotion in the UK have themselves a little music space, Echoes in Haggesrston, Tonight's gig was two DJs who I've seen before but thought would make the night a good one.
I got there as it opened and DMC winner Jon1st was already on the decks.
He played a 90 minute set with a lot of scratching and some parts of the routine that won him the championship in 2013. 
This is his routine and you can see just how fast he is.
Time to switchover
Cheeba, who I last saw at BlueDot had brought his Double Vision show to tonight's proceeding. This has him working an AV set on 3 decks, 2 mixers and 2 laptops. With some of his staple clips including the Spinal Tap, Prodigy, Epilepsy mix (which is becoming my favourite AV section of any DJ) he kept the audience happy for the duration of his 90 minute set.
The two then got together to finish up with a little freestyle section including Jon1st scratching video clips of cats…