Skip to main content

Severance



I guess it says a lot for Simon Pegg and co when any film that comes along that features British actors, comedy and horror is described as being like "Sean of the Dead". I liked that film a great deal and so am instantly sceptical when I see films described in such a way, like this one.

Set in Hungary, the film tells the story of a team from work who get lost whilst doing business and team building for the arms company that employs them. They find themselves in the woods being attacked by victims of nerve gas, made coincidentally by the company they work for. It makes a change from the monsters that we usually get in these films, no zombies this time around!

Whilst I went to the film in a sceptical mind I was pleasantly surprised, the film does have a good balance of horror and comedy; a little gorier on the former and less of the latter however. Bar a couple of scenes I didn't laugh out loud as much as I recall doing with Sean of the Dead.

There was one scene however that I thought was really well done and brilliantly balanced comedy and horror together. One of the group, the little fat geeky chap, comes across a springboard at the side of a swimming pool that you can't see for the leaves covering the area. That's the scene set, now imaging having to watch him jump up and down on the board not knowing what lies under the leaves. I found myself laughing at the stupidity of the guy but was really worried about what would happen if he fell off the board. I'm not going to spoil it here! There is also another scene with a rocket launcher which introduces a nice dose of humour following a lengthy bout of the tension and horror.

Whilst I'm not a fan of wide-boy Danny Dyer, he's really good in this. I did spend quite a bit of time trying to convince myself that the American girl was the one from Scary Movie, but it wasn't.

Definitely worth seeing and you should make the effort if it is still being shown in your area.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Show: Cirque du Soleil Tracker

Just a way to track the shows I've seen and have yet to reach. These are the current active shows. I've seen some others that have been discontinued (Alegria, Dralion, Immortal, Quidam, Saltimbanco, Zed & Zarkana)


This one I've seen twice. It was "Believe" in 2013 and "Mindfreak" in 2016.




This one is a commission for a theme park in France and is the end of day water-themed show.  Theme Parks and Cirque? How have I missed this one? (I'm hoping to get it this summer)

This one has just started its run.



This one has been in Australia and Japan for the last few years but is now back in the US. I've no plans to see this one.
I saw this one in 2016
This was announced in Brooklyn whilst I was on holiday in Manhattan 2016 so I added it.


N

Film: Your Name

Your Name is a very successful Japanese film that has made its way over to the UK. It has become the first non-Ghibli animated film to break the 10-billion yen mark so it's a pretty big deal. It's had a fairly subdued launch in the UK, and I'd only realised it was being shown here after catching a poster on the underground.
The tale is of a city boy, Taki and a country girl, Mitsuha who become inexplicably linked through their dreams and they decide to find each other. Without giving too much away the story is a little different to the usual love story, and has a good mix of comedy peppered throughout, in particular from Mitsuha's younger sister Yotsuha.
The animation is stunning and rivals that of the Ghibli camp. The story is clever, and you can probably tell I'm not giving too much away; to do so would spoil things.
Highly recommended. 

Gig: Jon1st & DJ Cheeba @ Echoes

The Soundcrash promotion team, who do some of the best live event promotion in the UK have themselves a little music space, Echoes in Haggesrston, Tonight's gig was two DJs who I've seen before but thought would make the night a good one.
I got there as it opened and DMC winner Jon1st was already on the decks.
He played a 90 minute set with a lot of scratching and some parts of the routine that won him the championship in 2013. 
This is his routine and you can see just how fast he is.
Time to switchover
Cheeba, who I last saw at BlueDot had brought his Double Vision show to tonight's proceeding. This has him working an AV set on 3 decks, 2 mixers and 2 laptops. With some of his staple clips including the Spinal Tap, Prodigy, Epilepsy mix (which is becoming my favourite AV section of any DJ) he kept the audience happy for the duration of his 90 minute set.
The two then got together to finish up with a little freestyle section including Jon1st scratching video clips of cats…