Saturday, October 14, 2006

Carston Holler @ The Tate Modern

The Tate Modern houses a lot of rubbish, but with the Turbine Hall they have a ridiculously sized room in which to house monster installations. In the past these have included "The Weather Project" which had a huge sun at one end of the room. The most recent is a collection of slides designed by Carston Holler.

My first attempt to get on this was a week ago after work, and this was as far as I got. I hadn't realised the place closed at 6pm. Fortunately I was here at midday so had plenty of time to have my fun.

These are slides 5, 3 and 1. Superb looking structures don't you think? The top level is 55 metres high, and people were shooting out of it at a good speed. When I first saw this on the telly the people were flying off the end of the slide onto the rubber floor. The gallery had since added crashmats to help slow the people down.

Here's my arty shot of 5 and 3. You can just make out that the slide's top half is clear.

This is a shot from the other side of the hall where you can see 2 and 4.

So what did I think of the slides? Well, I never got on them. The gallery had only been opened 2 hours but the big slide was already fully booked and the other slides were only available at 5pm. There's no way I wanted to hang around here for 5 hours so I took the pics and vowed to return when things were a little quieter. The slides are here til April next year so there is plenty of opportunity to get on them.

No comments:

Tennessee

Tennessee is a landlocked state in the USA and is bordered by the following states. Kentucky to the North Virginia to the North-East Arkansa...